Pest Control Expert Witness Services
With over 25-years experience in the pest control industry we have experience in termite control, rodent control, and other general insect control cases that have risen to the level of legal action being taken
We offer Expert Witness inspections, reports, and testimony when an expert in the pest control industry is needed. Joe Jonovich has over 25-years experience in the pest control industry and has experience in termite control, rodent control, and other general insect control cases that have risen to the level of legal action being taken.
We have worked for both the plaintiffs and defense attorneys to help find justice for our clients.
When there are large sums of money involved, things can get complicated fast. This is true when pests such as termites cause problems in real estate transactions. Real estate transactions are the number one cause of pest control related lawsuits. When buying or selling a property we always recommend getting building inspection that includes a termite and wood destroying organism (WDO) report.
Common termite and WDO legal issues we have been retained as an expert include:
- Buyer alleges termite inspection company did not report evidence of termites.
- New construction (less than 3 years) home with severe beetle infestation in attic trusses. Buyer alleges faulty construction materials used.
- Member of Condo Association suing to have a different termite treatment performed than the one selected by the board.
- Termite damage occurs to structure under contract by pest control company. Owner claims negligent treatment.
- New construction condos with severe building defects creating water leaks and now termites are present in upper floors. HOA alleges building defects caused termites.
Over the past 30 years bed bugs have made a resurgence in the United States. This had led to numerous bed bug lawsuits. Typically these are filed by tenants or hotel guests claiming improper bed bug management procedures.
The key to winning these cases is the documentation. Most pest management companies have detailed records of inspections and what, where, and when a product was applied. We have the knowledge and experience of the law and current industry treatment standards to evaluate if a bed bug management plan meets or exceeds industry standards.
Commercial contracts and leases are sometimes vague when it comes to pest control. This can become an issue when public health pests such as rodents, roaches, stored product pests, etc. occur. It can be difficult to determine the source and length of time an infestation has been going on undetected. We have the knowledge and experience to inspect the property and documentation to help find answers.
Here are examples of the types of cases we have worked on.
- Restaurant was shut down and went out of business due to rodents. Restaurant alleges it was due to building defects the landlord is responsible for. Landlord alleges it was due to poor pest management the restaurant was responsible for.
- Rodents contaminated found on over $5 million of mixed nuts in storage. Did the damage occur at the facility or prior to its arrival?